Recently, there has been reports in the media that Steve Jobs will receive the Vision Awards for ''Lifetime Achievement in Technology'' at the 40th anniversary of Vision Awards to be held at The Beverly Hilton on September 23. I checked out the information by visiting the website of Vision Awards, and sure the name of Steve Jobs of Apple Inc. was there, second in the list of current honorees, and slated for the award. Industry conjectures conclude that Steve Jobs has been considered for the Vision Award due to the outstanding accessibility features of the Mac OS and iOS. For example, the touchscreen of the iPad can be used even by a visually impaired person as the iPad can be set to read out onscreen text or the names of the buttons underneath a person's finger.
Steve Jobs has always been obsessed with design and aesthetics and have had a storybook lifestyle including his conversion to Buddhism in India, his diet of a pescetarian, and his escapades, including his experiences with psychotropic substances and recent rumors of being apprehended at a Japan airport with ninja throwing stars, or shuriken.
Some famous quotes of Steve Jobs that have influenced careers worldwide include the following:
- "Innovation has nothing to do with how many R&D dollars you have. When Apple came up with the Mac, IBM was spending at least 100 times more on R&D. It's not about money. It's about the people you have, how you're led, and how much you get it." - Steve Jobs, 1998, quoted in Fortune
- ''A lot of times people don't know what they want until you show it to them.'' - Steve Jobs, 1998, quoted in BusinessWeek
- ''The cure for Apple is not cost-cutting. The cure for Apple is to innovate its way out of its current predicament.'' - Steve Jobs, as quoted in the book on Apple Inc. by Owen W. Linzmayer
- ''A lot of companies have chosen to downsize, and maybe that was the right thing for them. We chose a different path. Our belief was that if we kept putting great products in front of customers, they would continue to open their wallets.'' - Steve Jobs, talking on the recession
- ''You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new. - Steve Jobs, on marketing strategy
- ''Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations.'' - Steve Jobs, on workplace reality