Somerville School Department
Somerville, MA, United States
Executive, Manager, Education
ANNOUNCEMENT OF A VACANCY FOR THE
2019-2020 SCHOOL YEAR
Director of Somerville Community Schools
General Description: The Director of Somerville Community Schools program plans, implements, and administers the out-of-school (after school and summer) program operations and activities to meet the established requirements of the District
• Provides effective leadership in the development, implementation and evaluation of a system-wide program in which each school’s program meets District and the Massachusetts Early Education and Care’s required standards.
• Provides leadership and assistance to Site Coordinators and Principals in various sites of the Community Schools (CS) program, resolving issues as situations require.
• In consultation with the District’s Finance Director, develops the CS budget and spending plan, recommends fee structure for approval, distributes needed budget information to site directors and other stakeholders including the School Committee.
• Gathers information regarding services provided by programs and external providers, observes activities and facilities, and identifies resources to help provide age-appropriate instructional and recreational activities in an appropriate environment.
• Attends conferences, workshops, classes, etc. as appropriate, to enhance and maintain knowledge of trends and developments in after-school care; reviews professional journals, attends association and professional meetings, and otherwise maintains contacts with professionals to facilitate exchange of information.
• Oversees professional development opportunities for CS staff with a focus on curriculum, student health and safety, improving the quality of service provided to students and parents, meaningful interaction with school day curriculum. Director may serve as a workshop presenter, or may involve District curriculum leadership in assisting with professional development.
• Compiles, reviews and analyzes various program data, and develops program procedures, documents and reports. Maintains program records and reports in accordance with local, state and federal policies.
• Designs and implements procedures and systems to collect and/or review individual school’s program data and documents, seeks parent and community input and advises CS Site Coordinators on maintaining effective program organization and enrollment
• Evaluates CS programs, submits recommendations for improvements to the Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment, and implements approved program changes
• Oversees program access and assures that CS programming is accessible to all Somerville students, PK – 8 including those receiving Special Education services and students learning the English language, ensuring compliance with state and federal laws and regulations.
• Facilitates strategic planning to meet annual program goals
• Researches and provides relevant professional development for all levels of staff including providers as well as safety training such as; First Aid, CPR, 51A training and CPI certification
• Oversees curriculum planning and implementation for after school and summer programming
• Establishes and supports an effective behavior management system for all students
• Selects candidates for interviews; recommends hiring and oversees orientation of new staff and any other personnel-related functions as required
• Oversees implementation of a performance review/evaluation process for support staff, direct care staff and Site Coordinators
• Oversees dissemination of a regular staff meeting schedule for school year
• Establishes and maintains regular school visits and provide ongoing supervision at all schools
• Supervises and evaluates the CS administrators, including Site Coordinators, on an annual basis
Management and Operations
• Designs, implements and oversees student enrollment procedures for all CS programs
• Establishes an annual program calendar
• Oversees program coordination and facilities management in all eight elementary schools
• Establishes systems for effective program practices including management and oversight of program implementation to include dissemination of program information, enrollment guidelines and fee requirements
• Updates policies and procedures including Staff and Family Handbook annually
• Develops and implements guidelines for building and equipment usage and security including emergency response plans and proper storage
• Oversees ordering and inventory of program supplies and materials
• Designs and maintains effective systems to track, prepare, report and submit program data
• Serves as a resource and/or representative of the School Committee in collective bargaining negotiations with unionized employees
• In collaboration with the Finance Director, develops, implements fee structure for all afterschool and out of school time programming and ensures compliance with all state and federal agency childcare contracts
• Designs and implements fee collection procedures in compliance with the District’s Finance office and district-wide procedures
• Writes and manages grant in collaboration with District Grants Coordinator.
• Oversees payroll for all CS employees
• Reviews and recommends approval of contracts for providers
Communication and External Relations
• Works collaboratively with schools, families, community, city government and community based organizations to provide high quality programs that meet the needs of the community
• Researches and establishes partnerships with providers, community based organizations, local universities and businesses
• Establishes effective and clear communication to facilitate family engagement through newsletters, handbooks, surveys, family nights and volunteer opportunities
• Attends DESE and grant required workshops and conferences
• Master’s degree in Child Development, Education or related field.
• 6 to 9 years of experience in child care, teaching, or a related field, with program coordination and supervisory experience, or any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
• Appropriate administrative license required.
Reports to: Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
Applications are only accepted online through School Spring.
Please do not mail or email resumes. Only resumes that are submitted through School Spring will be considered.
Should you need assistance with the online application process, please contact the Human Resources: email@example.com
Somerville Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Somerville Public Schools actively seeks applicants with diverse backgrounds. Grade level and content licensure is required when applicable. Dual licensure including SPED, ESL, ELL, or bilingual licensure and/or proficiency in a language or languages other than English is preferred.
Welcome to Somerville Community Schools!
Community Schools is a department of the Somerville Public Schools dedicated to providing high quality learning and enrichment activities for elementary grade students after-school and during school vacations.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Somerville Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws.
Citizenship, residency or work VISA in United States required
There are no application questions required for this job posting.
Sharon Ellis, Assistant Director of Human Ressources
8 Bonair St
Somerville, Massachusetts 02145
Somerville School Department
Phone : 617-625-6600